Friday, June 11, 2010

Introduction to my Blog

The purpose of this blog is to record and display my collection of competencies in Information Organization through a series of exercises that will cover many different types of databases, social networking sites, podcasts, and RSS feeds. This blog will be turned in at the end of Summer term for final grading.

Although, this isn't my first attempt at blogging, I still have this idea in my head that blogs are like diaries. It is no surprise to me that more women are bloggers than men. Some of the blogs out there border on news reports, but the main difference between a blog and a diary is that you can't put a little padlock on it, admire your own handwriting, or decorate it with crazy stickers. The bonuses include not having to lug your blog around with you like a diary, or worry about losing it in a freak fire accident.
This brings me to this blogs topic. The future of Public Libraries and information storage.
Is a blog merely an over-hyped electronic version of a diary or memoir?
What does this conversion from paper to computer data hold for the future of Public libraries? I will attempt to identify major trends on this issue, and in the process I will theorize on the direction our public libraries are going based on technological, societal, and cultural factors.

No comments:

Post a Comment